First time trying to dry alfalfa / heavy red clover mix

mercredi 14 août 2019

Monday I did a second cutting on neighbors 12 acres using my PZ 170 mower. Alfalfa and especially the red clover were very heavy. In fact my neighbor and I have never seen it this heavy for a second cutting. Yesterday (Tuesday) I ran my tedder through the windrows to spread it out. Temps are in the high 80 with an interment wind, I'm in SW Colorado, Current humidity is about 25%. Forecast shows 0% possibility of rain for the next 4 days.

 

If it was grass I would windrow late this afternoon and be baling tomorrow afternoon, but from reading I will take at least 1 or possibly 2 extra days for this mix to dry.

 

Question - Should I windrow today and not touch until baling time, or let it lay flat until almost dry then windrow. I am concerned about leaf loss if I wait to windrow. I have a Kubota rotary rake.

 

I normally do a twist test on my grass (breaks at 4 to 6 revolutions and good to bale), but how do you tell the alfalfa and clover are dry enough?

 

Thanks for any help

 

 

PS: on my grass I bale at 10 to 14% moisture to prevent mold, etc.



First time trying to dry alfalfa / heavy red clover mix

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire