Tips for the first time hay farmer

dimanche 17 avril 2016

Well spring is here and my hay field is coming up. I have a couple questions. First I'll tell you that there was existing grass in the field, no idea what it was, so I baled up what was there and plowed and harrigated it out. I don't have any equipment yet and I'm running on renting and favors. So with limited equipment I was given advice that just broadcasting the seed out with fertilizer pellets would work to get me going. I decided to plant a timothy alfalfa mix for the horses I board. It ended up being early September when I planted. So there is the info sorry for the muddled nature of it.

 

Now in Spring i have about 50/50 growing to bald spots and a lot of what I can tell is purple deadnettle coming up. I guess my question is will my hay field fill out on its own over a couple of years or does some action need to be taken to help the grass take over.

 

Any ideas, thanks in advance.



Tips for the first time hay farmer

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire