Lamb/Mutton meat pricing question

mercredi 13 avril 2016

So I might have found a farm to store market for my lamb. The USDA butcher would take my lamb on the hoof, kill, butcher, and inspect along the way, cut and wrap for the market, and maybe even deliver to the market. The store is interested mainly because it is locally grown and grass finished. (as if there was any other way for lamb besides the CAFOs)

I just got off the phone with the butcher and he has a way to rail weigh the carcass. This provides me the seller and the buyer a third party way to weigh the meat. The question is, What do I charge? Should I just go off off the upper echelon of the going auction rate for lambs? I am looking to stay in the green and I have the market cornered on this so to speak so I can set a high yet reasonable price per pound without much push back. After all, us farmers should make a good return for daily feedings in the rain, snow, sleet, and feed costs. I am thinking in the area of $2.55lb rail weight. The market can cut a deal with the butcher on the price per head kill/cut and inspection fees and absorb that themselves.

 

What say you oh wise ones of the forum?

 

 

As a side note, the butcher says he sees no difference in the meat between hair sheep vs wool sheep except for the outer fat that they usually have to trim off any way. So that means the few extra Barbados and Dorpers that are in with my woolies can be butchers and the end product is about the same. Save for a little extra marbling for the woolies, he sees no difference once on the cutting table. 



Lamb/Mutton meat pricing question

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire