Brillion seeder... is it worth it?

mardi 22 août 2017

I have about 70ac to seed this fall. 20ac for alfalfa/orchard mix and 10ac for straight Timothy. The other 40ac will be put into permanent horse pasture.

 

Those acres have been prepped with disc and cultimulcher. I finished the cultimulching last night and quite honestly, I'm impressed in how good the field looks. I had annual rye on it for the summer, just to hold soil and keep weeds down. I mowed it as low as my batwing would go before I disked it. I disked on the bias to the initial rye then 90deg opposite to the disc with the cultimulcher. I have approximately 95% dirt with only a very little stubble on the surface. Its smooth... its ready, the seed is in the barn. I am limited to farm work on Weekends, Mondays, and vacations. 

 

But I have yet to make up my mind concerning a way to get it in the ground.

 

I have 3 options...

 

1. The local Extension office has a 10' Haybuster, which I used to put in the rye. I'm a little worried about its consistency on depth of planting, especially given it is a rental. (This is the least expensive option and I would plant half density in 2 directions.) This would be the least expensive of all options. But, being that it is used by everyone in the area, it can be difficult to get when I have the time. 

 

2. Relatively local Used Farm Equipment dealer has a 10' Brillion seeder... no idea about the year. It looks to be in relatively decent shape, but when looking at it from the back, it appears to angle a bit. I've seen it up close, and its been 'used' but not necessarily abused. I'd take another close look before I purchased it if I went this route. I could get this for about 30% of new.

 

http://ift.tt/2xadgb0 and Caddies;page=1;items=20;sort=0;wid=1;disposition=any&fsuid=2c31a678-6b33-4088-8626-60e9a31ca272

 

3. There is a relatively 'new/used' machine about 4years old, but only rented for one year a handful of times. I could get this for about 75% of new.

 

My goal is quality hay for my horses and, if any is left over, to sell in the area.

 

There are plenty of horses so, if I can get the quality, I should be able to sell it well. (Lexington, KY area). But my main goal is a good stand that I don't have to fight all the time. BUT... I won't be planting year in and year out. I figure any of the options will work, but which would work best for the next 20yrs? Would purchasing the 'new' seeder be worthwhile when only using it occasionally but getting a great stand when I do? Would the older one suffice in this instance? Or should I just go with 2 90deg runs of the no-till? Seed is expensive, and I don't want to be foolish in any direction, if there is a chance to prevent it.

 

 



Brillion seeder... is it worth it?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire