New Vermeer 504R Signature Baler report

samedi 7 octobre 2017

Earlier this summer, I sold my tired JD 457 and ordered a new Vermeer 504R Signature baler.  I've searched on here, and found very little mention of this baler.  As far as I know, I'm the only one around here with this baler.  The dealer that I bought from said that mine was the first R that he has sold.  So, I thought I would start a thread and share what I've found.

 

The 504R comes with a wide pickup and gauge wheels, a compressor roller in front of the pickup, bale ramps, and an electronic monitor.  Here's the link to the factory web page: Vermeer 504 Signature

 

We finally dried out from all the rain and I had a chance to use it.  I think the counter has about 125 rolls on it now.  Here are my observations so far:

PROS:

1. This thing absolutely EATS hay!  Because of record rains this summer, and very few days of sunshine in a row, I've only cut and baled twice. (normally, I'll cut 3-5 times per year)  So, the hay was very tall and thick.  With the outside wheels of my V-10 rake folded up, I still have massive windrows.  This baler just doesn't care. :D

2. Makes very good looking, square-shouldered and very dense bales.  I always thought that no other balers would compare to the JD on bale density.  I have been proven wrong.

3. The hydraulics are super fast.  The 504R opens the tailgate and ejects the bale in a fraction of the time that it took on my old 457.

4. The monitor is very user-friendly and helpful.  The built-in moisture monitor is great!

5. It takes less HP to run than the 457.  Noticeably less drag on the tractor.

6. Everything about it seems to be built heavy duty and made to last.  The main drive chains are 80's.  The chain to the pickup reel is a 60. (my 457 had 60 and 50 chain respectively)  All of the drive roller bearings have grease fittings.

 

CONS:

1. The Vermeer only holds 4 spools of twine. (my 457 held 6)

2. The Vermeer "feels like" it has more tongue weight.  Can't prove that, but the 457 felt a little more balanced.

3. Both twine feed through the same guides until they split at the twine arms.  From time to time, during the first 100 bales, I had a few twine feeding problems.  Don't know if that is an issue because the twine are together, or if it was just bad twine.  I ran out of old twine at the same time the problem disappeared.  The last 40 rolls, or so, have been trouble free.  Maybe it was just breaking in?

 

 

As I get to use it more, I'm sure I'll come up with more picks and pans.

Feel free to add your "2 cents worth" or ask questions.  I'd like for this to be a good discussion.



New Vermeer 504R Signature Baler report

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire