Cheap fix for stuck torsion bars on Haybines

jeudi 30 juin 2016

I have an old NH 467 with the torsion bar system that applies pressure to the crimp rolls.  After years of fighting the bar freezing up and/or getting out of adjustment, I came up with a simple and cheap fix that seems to work as well or better than the original design.  I bought two extension springs from MSC, which is a #905 Gardner Spring part 

(http://ift.tt/29hPZcX) - and two cheap 3/8 turnbuckles from Home Depot.  As you can see from the pics, I simply removed the old linkage to the torsion bar and hooked the spring into the same mounting hole on the roller bracket.  An old length of chain for the turnbuckle and you're in business within ten minutes.  The original spring length was 6" for the coils so I tightened the buckle to stretch it to 8".  Total cost was less than $60.

 

The roller floats while cutting and can handle both thick and thin areas of grass.  I get plenty of stem crush with little leaf loss, which was sometimes a problem with the old torsion bar.

 

I'm posting this in the hope it might help anyone with a similar problem.  I have seen recommendations to burn out the plastic bushing but this method is probably less work and you're less likely to set your equipment ablaze...<LOL>

Attached Thumbnails

  • Cutter2.jpg
  • Cutter1.jpg


Cheap fix for stuck torsion bars on Haybines

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire