Discrepancy in moisture readings

mardi 2 octobre 2018

So Sunday and today (Tuesday) I made about 75 4x5's because of a rare break in the typical frequent rain we've had for 2 months. Also pressure from the property manager to get the fields baled up.

The hay was cut 10 days ago and teddered twice. It was mostly brown. Ground could be described as damp, but not wet mud. Temp was 80 degrees. While raking, the hay "sounded" fairly dry (lots of "swish" sound).While baling, the in cab readout of the Harvest Tec was reading 17-19% which is fine for my buyer.. First 5 bales were bad. They had "HI" readings intermittantly through the bales. 18-HI-19-HI-18 etc. Then, I hit my stride and as the sun got into the raked hay, the readings settled in the 17-19 range.

BTW: None of this hay will ever go inside. Its mulch king hay. 

At end of the day today, I stabbed the bales I made Sunday (48 hours ago) with my hand held (typical $150 rebadged JD or NH type) as I always do after i make bales, and man the readings were sky high. Like 25-99.9 on the hand held readout. I was pretty blown away. I was tired and it was getting dark, so I left for the night. 

The temps on the bales made Sunday afternoon (48 hours ago) were about 100 degrees, which seems ok. A little heating is expected with 19% round bales. Also noteworthy that when I stabbed the bales, most times, the probe slid in quite easily, another sign I thought meant decent hay. 

Most times both my meters read real close, like 1-2* difference if anything at all. 

 

Anyone have their Harvest tec in cab get really inaccurate?



Discrepancy in moisture readings

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire