looking for suggestions on planting a grass field

dimanche 4 septembre 2016

     Looking for suggestions on planting a grass field, buying a field from the neighbor that has been in seed alfalfa for the last few years.  The ground is decent, but there are a few alkali patches which I am assuming I'll have to go over specifically with something like tall ryegrass after I establish the field.  I'm hoping to get some volunteer alfalfa to come back into the mix after planting.  I know very little about making grass hay as I have only really had experience with straight alfalfa.  Trying to decide between timothy, orchard grass, ryegrass, or how to mix.  The ground is irrigated, but in the summer we do get pretty hot here.  (high desert 4000-5000 ft.)     I make quite a bit of horse hay, that will probably be the main purpose of the grass field, maybe some big bales for cattle but the alfalfa sells better for that.  Horse people here are deathly afraid of fescue so I really don't want to go that route.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  Also, if it matters my mower is a disc moco with steel rolls and I have a wheel rake but no tedder. 

 

Thanks, Joe

 



looking for suggestions on planting a grass field

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire