Blank slate

samedi 18 mars 2017

Currently have two feilds that were alfalfa 3 years ago and have been rotated out with soybeans. Now it's time to go back to a hay crop. The plan was to reseed these feilds back into alfalfa. Now it seems my market for nice grass bales is getting bigger and bigger every year. So now I'm having trouble figuring out which grass or grass alfalfa to put in. I also need to get a good return the first year to at least pay for what I have in it. My thoughts were planting annual ryegrass as a nurse crop with my stand to increase yeild.
Still having trouble debating which grass or mix I'd like to plant for permanent stand. This is my list of potential grasses

Orchard/Timothy mix
Smooth brome
Meadow brome
Alfalfa/orchard
Alfalfa/meadow brome
Teff

I threw teff into the list to use it as an experiment for a year to better test the market but I am aware of the maintenance that teff requires.

I plan on square bailing this for the horse market so ease of drydown, and general horsey hay appearance is important. Also if anybody has experience using annual ryegrass as a nurse crop I'd like to hear your advice. Thanks in advance

Blank slate

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire