Winter cover crop to pasture by next Spring?

lundi 27 mars 2017

Hello. I am looking for advice and I am hoping that someone on this forum can help me.

Let me start by saying that I know absolutely nothing about row crops. I have raised a few backyard gardens over the years that would probably rank 5 on a scale of 1-10. I do have limited knowledge of cattle as I grew up working summers on my grandfather’s farm. I have a tractor and a bush hog that I know how to use but that’s about the limit of my farming knowledge.

I recently purchased 12 acres which has been used for row crops over the past several years. The previous owner who lives out of state has allowed a local farm to use the property for farming (hand shake agreement). I have been trying for a week or so to get in touch with the farmer with no luck. When I bought the property, I am embarrassed to admit that I thought (assumed) that it had been sowed in grass like Kentucky 31. I now believe that it is sowed in some type of cover crop, maybe wheat or rye grass. Someone applied lime to the field about a week ago, and I have not been able to track them down. I have attached some pictures and would really appreciate someone confirming this.

My intentions for the property are to build a barn and repair fences this fall and I would like to buy some cattle next Spring. I need to convert this winter wheat to pasture ASAP. I don’t really know the best course of action to make this happen. I would rather keep costs to a minimum.

I have no idea of the value of the wheat crop that is currently growing. Does it make sense to allow it to grow and let someone harvest it? Is there a possibility that someone would pay me for the crop?

Should I go ahead and overseed with perennial grasses now?

Let me add that I don't need the best pasture in the county. I just need something that works keeping cost to a minimum.

Please help!

Thanks so much in advance.

 

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3122.JPG

IMG_3123.JPG

IMG_3124.JPG

IMG_3125.JPG



Winter cover crop to pasture by next Spring?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire