soil crusting, alkali soil--Plant barley? Plant Peas and barley? Improve soil quality?

lundi 13 mars 2017

Hello again. I am a novice farmer on a family farm that I inherited from my dad. We have 200 acres of fields. Some of these fields are showing white from salt crusting. I have improved the drainage of my fields. Now I want to know if planting barley will help the alkali level in my soil Also, I am wanting to know if I can plant a combination of barley and peas in this same alkaline field with the ultimate goal of cutting and baling in small two-wire bales. I am constrained by the equipment I currently have. I no longer have a the ability to chop corn for silage. I have rotary windrower and baler that produces small square bales. Currently I have 25 heifers with calves (for beef) and so am also thinking of feed for them. Also I have a market for alfalfa hay and oat hay. Over the past two years I have sold every single bale I produced. I think I can sell barley hay without too much trouble. I live in New Mexico near the Navajo Reservation. A lot of my customers raise sheep on the reservation and like oat hay and I think they will also buy the barley hay.

 

The bottom line for me right now is what can I do to improve the condition of my soil? 

 

 



soil crusting, alkali soil--Plant barley? Plant Peas and barley? Improve soil quality?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire