Dust, Heat and Square Bales

vendredi 10 mars 2017

Have a few folks who want to buy hay the day I bale it. I'm a little leary of doing this due to concerns for dusty hay and heat. I like the idea of the hay setting in my barn for a month before selling for two reasons, one - let the hay cure until it's temperature stabilizes and secondly, give it a chance to dust up. This way I can know when our hay leaves the farm, dust or heat is not going to be an issue.

Occasionally I'll find a few dusty bales, more so when we used a sickle mower, not so much with the mower conditioner. Also using a baler mounted moisture meter so we can monitor humidity as we bale has been a huge help. In addition, we have a propionic acid applicator locked and loaded for insurance too. So we are armed with the tools to reasonably monitor hay as we bale it....

However, what I don't want to do is, for whatever reason, sell hay the day we bale it, in fear that there could be potential for dust and I'm faced with a refund and the logistics of retrieving the hay. My thought is - if you really want the hay the day I bale, there is no warranty, but I'll give you a discount for saving me the trouble of loading it in the barn. Worse than that is the hay heats up and sets someone's barn on fire if I don't hold it for a time.

So what is the window for dust? What is the window for temperature stabilization? If I hold the hay for a month, find zero dust, is there potential the hay will dust up or heat a month after that and I'm faced with a refund and the logistics of retrieving the hay or paying for new barn? Also - you hold the hay for a month, it sells, temperature is very stable and no dust present - three months later the customer calls and says the hay is dusty and they want a refund. At what point in time do you call BS? Maybe they let the hay get some sprinkles of rain, they are storing it in a unbreathable, humid metal building or it's just someone else's hay? Where do you draw the line from it's my dust to it's your dust?

Hold the hay, sell it the day you make it, limited or lifetime warranty on dust? What do you do?

Thanks,
Bill

Dust, Heat and Square Bales

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire