Looking towards fall reseeding hay fields

dimanche 28 mai 2017

I'm hoping we get more rain this summer than we did last summer so I can do some reseeding in my fields.

 

My fields are near 100% Fescue, planted 4 yrs ago, hayed every year, never reseeded.

 

The fields are starting to thin some but not bad yet.

 

My plan if the ground isn't as hard as concrete is to reseed this September, drilling not plowing the fields up..

 

Plan so far is Fescue as it seems to be the best as far as drought tolerant here.

 

Also I know my area is on the border for OG but I'm leaning towards giving it a try.

 

Been looking at "Haymaster & Potomac" so far, also giving some thought about Rye of some sort... 

 

All I'm looking to do is increase my hay yields & root mass, etc. 

 

I am getting my soil health better every year, I'm spreading 10-26-26 , 3 times a year @300lbs ac... my soil test show my P&K is starting to come up now but still needs more.. 

 

What do you think about my plans, and also give me your thoughts about other things I could plant this fall, I'm open to most anything that will help my soil and at the same time make good hay for my own horses as I don't sell hay...

 

After the events a few months ago with moving the Mother in-law, then loosing a job at the same time as some will remember, things have taken a turn for the better and I am able to again put some money towards my fields so give me your thoughts here...

 

Looking to reseed about 12-15 ac so I'm looking for how many lbs per for what ever is suggested also...

 

Upstate SC area, mostly red clay type soil..

 

Thanks, Chris



Looking towards fall reseeding hay fields

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire