Questions on JD Balers and a Kuhn Rotary Rake at upcoming auctions.

mercredi 11 septembre 2019

As usual, now that hay season is over, the fall auction season is starting up and there are a few items I'm looking at.  The first auction is this weekend and has a JD 854SS round baler in it (pictures 1-3).  The second auction is on the 21st and has a JD 457SS round baler as well as a Kuhn GA4120TH rotary rake (pictures 4 and 5).  The dealers website states that the JD457 has 13k bale on it, no info on the JD854.  I won't be doing a large number of bales every year but would like to upgrade to a newer baler with a variable chamber... and the wider pickup would be nice (net wrap is pretty much a must have).

 

My questions for the round balers is that they both appear to have some type of rotor behind the pickup, but I'm can't tell if it's a crop cutting system or just a feed system to move the hay into the bale chamber.  If it's a crop cutter, can it be disabled to allow baling of regular hay and if so how well does it work like that?  I'll be baling dry grass hay, so will it cause any problems with leaf loss?  Also, what are the trouble spots I should be checking and how good/bad are these balers overall?  I will be checking to see if they both have the monitors with them.

 

The Kuhn rake looks in pretty good shape other than a couple of the tine arms have quite a bit of play in them, both rotating the way the cam would move them as well as endplay up/down/front/back.  I'm guessing there are some bearings in the hub that need to be replaced and I'm wondering how big (and expensive) a job that is?  I'm confident I can probably do the work myself if I have to, so parts price is my big concern.  Any experience with rebuilding the hub on one of these?

 

Thanks in advance for your help, Josh

 

JD854 1.jpg JD854 2.jpg JD854 3.jpg JD457 1.jpg Kuhn GA4120 1.jpg



Questions on JD Balers and a Kuhn Rotary Rake at upcoming auctions.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire