Tale of two balers

mercredi 15 juillet 2015

My neighbor and I each have John Deere Balers he has a 435 and I have a slightly newer 447(2002 model). We are both relatively small operations, baling between 700 - 800 bales per year each. His baler belts are worn on the inside..showing multiple wear marks and he has actually broken a belt..presumably at one of the wear points. In general his belts look awful, while mine look practically new. Both of us keep our balers undercover.. and mine has not seen a rain drop or dew since I bought it, in 2002. I maintain my belt tracking per the manual making sure no rubbing on metal surfaces is occurring... anywhere. However, I learned to use a big round baler with my Vermeer, many years ago ...  and then with a Deere 410. Both required you to stop the PTO before discharging a bale...and I still do that with my 447... although I'm told I don't have to.  Additionally I don't run my 447 at 540 PTO.. more like 420 - 440 on the average.. adjusting my ground speed to "pack" the bale properly. At 74 years of age and still farming I have learned how to pace my self and my equipment. My neighbor told me the other day he runs his baler at 540 and  doesn't disengage the PTO before ejecting... compared to me he seems to go like hell... but then he makes some awful looking bales on occasion...  I'd like to hear from folks regarding why his baler belts look like they went through the Iraq war and mine look rather pristine. I suppose I could guess..but it wouldn't be scientific... would it??  



Tale of two balers

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire