Annual ryegrass as a companion crop

dimanche 19 juin 2016

I started most of my Alfalfa as Roundup Ready this spring. I have a 3 Acre field I decided to plant with conventional Alfalfa and Orchard Grass for a little bit of mixed hay I would normally use oats for a companion crop but could not find any that day and the seed salesman recommended 3 pounds of annual rye grass per acre for a companion crop. I was skeptical but thought I would try it . Even though I only got about two-and-a-half to three pounds of annual rye grass on per acre by mid-may the rye grass was about 3 foot tall and very thick it was in danger of choking out the Alfalfa that was growing beneath so we had to cut it in mid-may. The rye grass grew back immediately with vengeance 1 months later it has choked out all the alfalfa I am so glad it is only a tiny field because the project is a total loss on our farm I would never plant annual ryegrass as a companion crop for Alfalfa seeding in the spring and I never had a problem with oats

Attached Thumbnails

  • 20160619_200027.jpg
  • 20160619_200029.jpg


Annual ryegrass as a companion crop

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire