What Variety of Orchadgrass to Seed

samedi 30 juillet 2016

I'm starting to do some planning for the fall and I need to seed 35-40 acres back into hay.  In the web research that I have done and with Dad and I talking to some friends at the local CPS we are really considering going with orchard grass, maybe an orchard grass/timothy mix.  In searching through data on the internet all I have been able to do is confuse myself on which variety of orchard grass I should go with.  Originally I was thinking about Persist, but it seems that it might be too early maturing if I wanted to mix in any timothy.  So which variety of orchard grass would you recommend?  And as a secondary question what variety of timothy would you recommend to go with it?  Also what seeding rates would you recommend?

 

We are located in Western Kentucky and the ground is slightly rolling.  It has been row cropped for the last three years and currently has corn on it.  As soon as the corn comes off, I will work the ground to bust up the corn stalks, probably using a disc and unverferth double rolling harrow.  I will be renting a seed drill from CPS to drill the seed with.  My plan as been to cross drill the seed to make sure that I get a good, solid coverage.

 

Any thoughts about these plans?  Please let me know if you see something that is a concern you or if you thinking I'm making a mistake anywhere.

 

Thanks again

 

Greg



What Variety of Orchadgrass to Seed

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire