Small Family farm / hay advice needed

mercredi 8 mars 2017

I live on the old 100 acre family homestead in southwest Arkansas . I have a dozen Herefords and a tight budget . My Great Aunt left me the cows about 5 years ago . She bought hay and paid to have the place mowed once a year in the fall .

I have been mowing and mowing and have got the pastures free of rocks , bushes , and most of the dead trees . This year I have everything cut short and clean . I will have a 3pt boom sprayer built in the next week or so and will be able to spray for weeds . I have not yet sent in a soil sample for testing .

I have no idea what types of grasses to seed or where . The 30 acre field has about 5 acres of Bermuda on the top dry section with sage grass in the middle . The lower section stays wet for long periods with half of the wet section shady from large hard wood trees .

I am asking the folks at the feed store ( who sell seed ) , anyone else that cares to reply , and lots of internet research .

I have not found a source / list of grasses that you should not plant close together in the same field , ie one type in the lower wet area and another bordering on the higher section do to domanance / incapatablity (sp?) Issues .

I want to cut some for hay but also want help with year round grazing . The smaller field is about 12 acres with some wet spots also . I could not find what cows really want to eat . I have found they won't eat Sage grass and I thought I was doing good just to get rid of the field of bushes .

I am a newbie to the agri field and could use any advise , I usually learn a little here and there making a little progress each year .

Thanks , Ken

Small Family farm / hay advice needed

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire