Crap Sums it Up

dimanche 8 avril 2018

Hello again.

Time for guidance from the forum.

Purchased my RTV900 from an eBay dealer, with a 100% feedback ranking, however my purchase was not through eBay. I have purchased from this seller previously without any issues.

He admitted that he does not normally sell RTVs. He took it in trade, he had no history on the rig.

During the test drive the RTV power seemed to match my BX2350, with the same engine series. The only thing that grabbed my attention was the chirp in 4wd. When I pointed out the chirp he dropped the price $500, supposedly what he had in the RTV.

Went it arrived I gave it the once over and found the radiator dry and the recovery tank full of rusty water. Too bad I did not pay more attention to the coolant system, the temp gauge was not throwing any red flags during the test drive so I had no reason to investigate the cooling system.

OK so the temp gauge sending unit was disconnected, who would do that?

Replaced the radiator, hoses thermostat and the cracked thermostat housing. Confirmed the radiator fan was operating and made certain the temp gauge was functioning. Took several test drives up and down the hills in various gears. The temp gauge was reading about 1/3 scale, about what my BX reads. Confirmed the antifreeze level was OK, not using oil etc. BTW the temps that day were in the high 40s. Thought all was well.

Fast forward to a 70 degree day and decided to straighten out the bend in the brush guard. With the aid of a stout tree and chain mission accomplished, but noticed the temp gauge was approaching the red zone. Popped up the seat, the recovery tank is right at full and the radiator fan is running. Guess that's a good thing.

Allowed the RTV to cool down and then headed up the hill to fetch the mail, but in route I see the temp gauge is nearly pegged.

Drifted back down the hill, lift the seat and the recovery tank is empty. This cannot be good.

With the engine stone cold it started, but when I recharged the coolant system it would not start.

Today I pulled the head and found the head gasket separated. The cylinder bores are pristine but when I cleaned the engine deck a hairline crack appeared. See attached.

Looks like the engine is junk, I doubt it would have any core value like this.
What to do next?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Engine crack.pdf (150.5 KB)


Crap Sums it Up

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire