Piper sudangrass

dimanche 8 avril 2018

I’m thinking of trying to plant piper sudangrass this year in place of pearl millet. We usually only plant about 5 acres of summer annuals to give a boost in our hay production.

In the past the pearl millet has always given lots of volume but it never fails that we get a rain right before it’s ready to cut. Seems like it always get a little to over mature on us due to weather.

I’ve read that piper sudangrass is a little easier to get dry and has a better feed quality. I first looked at sorghum sudan’s but in our humid weather I don’t think I could ever get it dry enough to bale. Generally when we cut millet with a cutter conditioner it takes 4-5 days before it’s ready to bale.

For those of you who have grown piper sudan what attributes and drawbacks does it have vs pearl millet? Is it really easier to dry down than millet? Did it have good regrowth? Feed value?

Thanks

Piper sudangrass

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire