Another hay field renovation question

samedi 11 août 2018

I am going to renovate my hay fields this September, Fescue KY31.

 

My fields are KY31 now but are getting thin and becoming non productive. I have taken soil samples but don't have the results back yet. I know lime is needed, It has been 3 years sense the last spreading. I have 2 loads waiting on the spreader, enough to apply 3t per ac. Also plan to spread P&K when the sample lets me know what is needed.  I will be doing all my planting this time with the county's no till drill..

 

Questions ....

 

1 - Will I hurt the Fescue that is established in the fields now if I set fire to it to get rid of some of the thatch, plan to bush hog it down close in the next few weeks..

 

2-  Is their a better variety than KY31, not going to convert to the fungus free type either... 

 

3- planting rate per ac for no till over seeding..

 

4- With fall weeds starting soon should I plan to spray early this fall or better to spray before planting, and what to use that won't hurt clover planting late winter..

 

5- Plan is to have seed in the ground by mid September, should I spread a fertilizer mix before or wait till after the new seed comes up..

 

Thanks, Chris

 

 



Another hay field renovation question

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire