In the market for a new hay rake

mardi 13 juin 2017

I am in the market for a new to me hay rake. We have always used a bar rake in the past, and have never had any issues, however we are now up to over 100 acres of hay, and need something that we don't spend the entire day raking. There are times that I have to rake and bale all myself, so speed does matter. Most of our fields are 10 acres or less, and since we are in northeastern Ohio, most are not flat, and usually have some bends to work around. I had about 20 acres down this week, and tried a worn out 3 point 8 wheel rake. It did rake hay faster that the single bar rake, but it was not pretty. This one was pretty worn out, but I just wanted to try something different. On the flat it did pretty good, but moved around too much on the hills. It left too much hay on the ground for my liking, and did not make a very pretty windrow. Also, we normally do not ted our hay, but wait until it is dry most of the way, and flip it over to expose anything green on the bottom. Usually work pretty good for us, as by the time we are ready to bale, everything is dry. I did not like how the center section of hay does not get turned over by the rake, as this will leave us with tough spots. I'm not sure if a kicker wheel will fix this problem, or just cause more problems. We have a 7'6" disc mower, and it lays everything out in a pretty wide swath. 

We have a neighbor that has a 10 or 12 wheel New Holland hi capacity rake, and it does a really good job. Have another neighbor that has a Kuhn rotary that makes me drool, but I think that a rotary will be out of my price range, and an older one will have too many issues to fix all the time. Another guy I know has a 10 or 12 wheel rake for sale, and I know it will be a good one, as he takes really good care of all of his equipment. If he hasn't sold it yet, that is. 

I did like the speed of the 8 wheel v rake I used, just didn't think that it did a clean or neat job of raking. I know a lot of the issues were that it was just worn out, but I don't want to get into another piece of equipment that is not usable, so was looking for suggestions. I'd like to stay under $2500 if possible.



In the market for a new hay rake

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire