Hay Curing Over Wet Ground???

dimanche 3 septembre 2017

I was hoping to cut some hay over this Labor Day weekend. I've got a small third cutting of my Clair Timothy, second cutting of a Timothy mix field and some grass weeds off a couple new fields I'm reclaiming for next year just to get the thatch off the field.

However.....

We've had rain all week. Where there has been a break in the rain, it's been cold, humid and sometimes foggy. Everything is saturated. Even if the wind picked up today with clearing weather and I cut/conditioned the hay dry, the ground underneath is still soaking wet. Some of it goes into the ground, but also evaporates up and through the hay - which rehydrates to some extent? My haying window is shut now for at least two weeks.

What is your expectations for dry down days with conditioned hay, tedding - but rain soaked ground? Speaking of square bales. I'm assuming a three day window ain't going to work, even with square bales and preservative.

How do you deal with such conditions with square bales; what's your timeline?

Thanks,
Bill

Hay Curing Over Wet Ground???

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire