The cost of second cutting OG

vendredi 2 août 2019

So, I have to admit that I cut my second and then third cutting in og before I wanted to to control the foxtail and crabgrass seed heads.  Made 13 bales to the acre on second, 10 bales to the acre on third.  Beautiful hay heavy bales.  No weeds, all leaf.  So many want it I decided to figure out exactly what it cost me.  5-6$/ bale for topdressing fertilizer, another 3-4$ machine cost including fuel meaning it's 9-10$ a bale just to cover my costs but not my labor.  I will be testing the market response to that today and tomorrow. 

 

The intangibles are I would have had the cost of bushhogging it twice for weed control and the grass would not have been in nearly as good a shape for the fall run on the first of August.  The fields are lush and dark green and growing.  Spraying the fields early next week for post-emerge foxtail and crabgrass control  and topdressed today with 250# CAN per acre.  Hopefully we will get some rain in August and have a nice later cutting with better math.hay 3.jpg



The cost of second cutting OG

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire