Belt Question - Rebel 5400 - New to Baling

vendredi 3 juin 2016

I'm fairly new to baling (3rd year) and have a couple of questions. I had a Vermeer 5400 Rebel given to me and it works decent. Meaning it rolls up grass and the cows eat it.  I only need about 150 bales a year and I put everything up myself.  The bales have always been sloppy looking and sag, but I'm putting them in the barn for my own use. This year I replaced all the chains and checked bearing, rollers, pick up clearance etc. The manual specifies 424" belts. There is a little difference in belt lengths. I can tell by pulling on them. I took the tightest off and it measures 119 ( 5" short), so maybe they have been re-sized before I got it? I plan on resizing all of them to the shortest and see what happens before I spend $1K on new belts. So, my questions are:

 

1) Can belts be too short? I realize they would make a smaller dia. bale, but are there any other mechanical issues against using 418" on a 424" spec.

 

2) The belts are smooth and have some imprinting on them "139"  and "99". They appear to be 3 ply. If you have had this baler would you recommend replacing them w/ the same OEM style smooth or will rough top belts work and be better? If resizing doesn't improve their looks I'll probably call Hammond Equipment in AL and talk/order from them.

 

3) Can belts be worn smooth and cause loose bales?

 

I realize what I'm working with, but remember, it was FREE and I have $200 invested in chains, so I kinda want to work on it some before I go spend 20K on a new one.

 

Thanks for any advice on belts etc w/ this baler



Belt Question - Rebel 5400 - New to Baling

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire