Internet option for rural folks

dimanche 28 juin 2020

I'm kind of in a no man's land for internet service on the farm.  :huh:  No cable, DSL, etc. (at one time was using dial up) type options.  Been trying to work from home last couple of months or so and needed a faster service than a mobile phone hot spot.
 
I use VOIP phone service at my office and the computer uses VPN.  So a couple of months ago, I bit the bullet and had satellite internet installed.  Worked 'OK' for somethings, but not phone service or VPN, the lag time (2500-3000 ms,2.5 -3 seconds), is not conducive for phone conversations.   ;)  I have one of my office phones at home, client's don't know (or care usually) where I'm at, as long as I'm available.
 
My nephew (who was in same situation living 1/2 mile away as crow files),  needing faster internet at home found this:

https://www.gotw3.com/
 

I've been on it for a month or so, internet phones work fine, VPN hasn't been a problem, needless to say I'm happy with service. :wub:   I'm actually on the 'Urban' plan.  I was paying $79.99 a month for satellite, at best 25 Mbps and would slow down with data cap.  This service is $80 a month, no data cap and I'm seeing speeds of over 50 Mbhs at times.  Most of the time i'm in the 30-40 Mbps.  :)

 

Depending upon your location you could be on Verizon, ATT or T-Mobile (they just put in different sim card).  I'm on T-Mobile presently.  Once someone comes up with a 600 Mhz booster, I could see speeds of 70+ Mbps.  The 600 Mhz is a newly used frequency I believe, so most boosters only go as low as 700 Mhz.

 

Thought I toss this out for those who may have been in the same boat as me.  My nephew says he can use NetFlex, and some other streaming service.  I don't used those things, so I don't have an opinion. 

 

I've added an outside antenna that allows me to have Wi Fi, almost all over the farm (over 1/2 mile, if you have a clear line of site to the top of my hay shed :) ).  I could add another antenna on top of the old silo, to hit a few block areas (maybe someday).

 

Oh ya, along with no data cap, no slow down, there is NO contract (unlike satellite that I'm paying to get out of  :angry: ).  Easy to hook up, travels well (could even use with an RV), plug in and ready to go in less than a minute.  Downside, modem you have to buy, up front, not much to it for the price.  But I suppose someone has to make a buck or two.  :huh:

 

Larry



Internet option for rural folks

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire