New hay field overrun with weeds. My solution (video included). Now what?

lundi 13 juillet 2015

We still have not performed our first cutting here in SE Michigan due to record, frequent rainfall which began on May 31st and has not let up long enough to get our fields dried out. As a consequence, my freshly seeded hay field has been overrun by weeds (Lambs Quarters and a species I have yet to identify), some of which are not recommended for our forage target, horses.

 

 Each day I grew more anxious watching the weeds tower over the alfalfa and grass seedlings, flower and then form seed pods. Knowing that we will be unable to cut the field in the near future, I drove straight in with my bush hog raised to 18 inches and chopped as many of them down as I could.

 

Video here:

 

 

The are significant volumes of alfalfa hidden among the weeds and these have been revealed, but are difficult to see in the video. The grasses are, predictably for an early April seeding, lagging behind. I am in need of feedback as to the wisdom of this act. Short of a weed wiper (which no one has in my neck of the world and according to my Co-op, "Nobody uses them thangs anymore"), what else could I have done?

 

 

 



New hay field overrun with weeds. My solution (video included). Now what?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire