NH knotter ties knot, needle unthreaded, string attached to bale?

mardi 2 juillet 2019

So I've got a strange problem on my NH 320 baler where the right side (looking from the back) knotter, periodically ties a knot in such a way that the string is still attached to the bale and as long as you drive, is pulling string out of the twine box.  Oddly, the needle is no longer threaded when this happens, so the following bales are completely un-tied on that side until the needle is re-threaded.  In a small field of 450 bales, this happened about 10-15 times and it could go for 100 bales or 3 bales until it reoccurred.   I attached a picture of what I'm trying to describe.

 

The frustrating thing is this is completely my fault - the baler was a knot-tying champ for the last several season and during the winter I decided I'd get everything in-spec with the manual.  Couldn't leave well enough alone.  I suspect the previous owner had things dialed in for the machined and I screwed it up.  Anyways, here is a list of the areas I "tuned-up":

 

1) twine disc timing. it was a bit off but not bad.  I tried messing around with this in the field with no success.

 

2) needle penetration/timing. the needles seemed to be entering the chamber too late and not deep enough so i decreased the length of the needle yoke rod, which put the penetration in-spec and advanced their timing a little

 

3) needle latch. required if needle penetration is changed,  likely not a cause but for the sake of completeness stuck it in

 

4) tine bar timing.  it was off a little and it was mostly due to under-tensioned chain.  likely not a cause but for the sake of completeness stuck it in

 

Known issues:

 

1) bottom right hay dog (same side as knotter issue) keeps breaking.  I think this is due to a missing/disintegrated rubber piece letting the dog go into the bale chamber too far.  It was like this last season and I never missed a tie so doubt its the cause

 

2) top right hay dog (same side as knotter issue) appears to be sprung and not pushing on dog with much force.  It was like this last season and I never missed a tie so doubt its the cause.

 

3) previous owner added another twine guide attached to the needle guard frame (picture attached).  the needle guard frame has channels worn into the metal from twine over the years.  This has always been there but I did notice that as the needle yoke passes by it, it pulls more twine out of the box and then when the needles retract from the top of their stroke, there's slack in the twine.

 

Any help would be appreciated on this as I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks,

Marc

 

 

 

 

Attached Thumbnails

  • Image 1.png
  • Image 2.png


NH knotter ties knot, needle unthreaded, string attached to bale?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire