Foxtail and Crabgrass control prior to reseeding into weak OG/KBG pasture

mardi 18 juin 2019

I have about 20ac of very weak KBG/OG planted fall 2017. I believe the wet weather caused it to do poorly. I had hoped that it would pop up stronger this spring, but it did not do so, and I'd like to replant into it this fall. Rather than burn it off and start completely over, I was looking to spray the broadleafs and then replant as close to 8/15 as reasonably possible. 

 

If I use Weedmaster, (dicamba/2-4D) I need to wait 30 days, according to label. This puts 'latest' spraying 1st 2 weeks of July, in order to overdrill Mid-late August.

 

I spoke with my Extension agent, and he said to do it as late as possible, to avoid opening up more ground for foxtail and crabgrass which I saw as a problem in this area, last summer. Foxtail in this area was bad late July. So... I'm in a pickle.

 

I know I've missed the 'pre-emergent' timing for crabgrass and Foxtail, but is there a POST EMERGENT which I can use but still plant both OG and KBG into in late August?

 

This 20 acres has me flustered, and I've spent more time trying to understand what is going on here, than on everything else put together. 

 

I'm taking soil samples once again, but they've been good for pasture when tested 2 years ago (prior to initial planting). It might be that my best course of action is simply to burn this area completely off, and reseed from scratch. I'd like to avoid it if possible, but I want some good grass/pasture next year. 

 

Post emergent cost might be prohibitive on such a scale, which might preclude anything other than just burn and repeat. But I'd like to know your thoughts.



Foxtail and Crabgrass control prior to reseeding into weak OG/KBG pasture

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire