Precut Rye Questions

mardi 3 mai 2016

Hey guys,
I've got 15 acres of rye that I plan on mowing for straw in the next 3 days and with this being my first time pre cutting rye straw I need a little advice.
The ground here is wet, we've had 3 inches of rain in 4 days and they're calling for a 50% chance of showers in the next 3 days then a week of clear weather. My plan is to mow the rye within the next few days and set the haybine to make the windrows narrow as possible to help the ground under the rye dry out, then after a day or 3 coming back with the tedder and spreading it the full width. I'll prolly have my Grandpa ted it once or twice a day (he's 88 years old and I figure it'll tickle him to have something to do for a few days) I figure once the straw is bleached I'll rake and bale it.
My questions are-
1. Will a shower or two on the rye after its mowed hurt it? (I figured a little rain will help get the color bleached out)
2. Should I make narrow rows with the mower or lay it full width on damp ground?
3.Any other tips that I need to know?

Thanks in advance,
-Will

Precut Rye Questions

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire