Isn't it supposed to go in circles?

jeudi 6 juin 2019

Sitting behind the cab of my Case 8840 is a fan (see picture) that I assume is supposed to direct air into the space in front of the radiator and until yesterday, I had assumed was merrily spinning around in circles. Given its location, it is not something I tend to observe carefully while operating the beast, so I was surprised when my wife asked me yesterday "isn't that supposed to spin". 

 

So, given that it is (or at least was) supposed to spin, I opened the beast up and tired to locate something that would provide the motive power to cause the fan to spin. While turning the fan, I did find a few spots where it seemed to rub on something, but nothing that prevented it from spinning when given a modest push with my hand but did not see anything that would drive it (obviously, I'm missing something)

 

Since I've not noticed any abnormal temperature readings during the last four years of operations I'm wondering if the fact that whether or not this thing spins is all that important. Then again, I like to have my equipment running properly so this is going to nag at me until verified one way or another so...

 

How is it supposed to work?

How do I test it properly?

If it is not working, how do I start to restore it to proper working order?

 

For a piece of machinery that has been easy to maintain (clean it, lube it, check the fluids & air pressures and you're good to go) and to fix (everything is accessible and rock simple) this has me stumped.It should be obvious, but I'm not seeing it.

 

My thanks in advance.

 

Attached Thumbnails

  • 8840.jpg


Isn't it supposed to go in circles?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire