Hay planting for square bales on wet ground

dimanche 9 juin 2019

I’m looking to replant about 12 acres of fertile but very wet bottom hay ground that I’ve had rotated to corn and beans for a few years. I make small squares only for the horse/goat/donkey etc market. This ground is to wet for alfalfa and a lot of it is to wet to get full on square baler wagons etc into until mid June at the earliest. I’ve previously had some success with late heading Timothy here but I’ve already got a lot of other Timothy at this point in other fields and some years I can’t get in until July. I’m considering planting endophyte free fescue/Timothy blend and cruising through as soon as it starts heading with a 4wd tractor and bushhog set up high to trim off seed heads then come back in a month and make “second cutting “ that I know will sell in a square bale. Sound stupid? Other suggestions for hay planting on this type of field for square bale market? Have considered teff which could be planted late when field is somewhat drier but I’m not sure about a local market for that. Appreciate any thoughts

Hay planting for square bales on wet ground

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire